Animal Services

Animal Control

The Humane Society of Elkhart County provides animal control services throughout the county. They make it possible for residents to obtain responsive and cost-effective solutions to animal control problems, and they make it possible for municipalities to focus enforcement operations on higher priority concerns.

The HSEC investigates an average of 100 animal abuse or neglect complaints monthly. The HSEC staff assists law enforcement agencies throughout the entire justice process from investigation through prosecution.

Animal Control can assist you with the removal of stray or aggressive dogs off your property that do not belong to you as well as advise you regarding trapping of unwanted wildlife or stray animals. They are involved with investigations into animal cruelty and neglect complaints and helping to secure injured domestic stray animals or injured wildlife. HSEC does not remove deceased animals.

HSEC does not provide pest control removal. Please call a local pest control company.

If you need Animal Control Services or would like to report abuse of an animal, please call us at: 574-848-4225

Elkhart City Animal License

The animal licenses for the city of Elkhart are NOT available at the Humane Society. However, paper work to submit to the city of Elkhart to receive your license is available to be downloaded or can be picked up at the Humane Society’s front office. See the download section of the Humane Society’s website.

Trap Rental

Traps are available for rent to anyone who is trying to catch a stray or wild animal on their property. Trap rentals require completion of the trap rental form, a $25 refundable deposit and payment of fees at completion of the rental of $1 per day for small to medium traps and $5 for large traps. All sizes are available from cat cages to large dog cages. Cages may be limited. Please call in advance to see if the trap size you need is available.

Lost Animals

As soon as you notice your pet is missing, give us a call and we’ll complete a lost report. We are the only Humane Society in Elkhart County, and people often bring stray or found animals to our shelter or call us to report a found animal. Additionally, we serve as animal control for the county and often pick up stray or running at large animals which are then housed at the shelter.

We’ll also ask that you come into the shelter and look for your animal. We cannot do a walk through for you. Only you know what your pet looks like, and we often get similar looking animals of the same breed.

Contact your local newspaper and check ads for lost and found. Some of the area newspapers will print a missing pet ad in their classifieds at no charge to you.