- You must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Have knowledge and consent of all adults living in the household (All household members must meet and agree on the pet).
- Be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide training, medical treatment and proper care for the pet.
- We do require that ALL animals adopted from the Humane Society be spayed/neutered, receive proper veterinary care (including vaccinations), be properly licensed and adhere to all laws and ordinances.
- If at any time your adopted pet is not being kept in accordance with our adoption policies, we reserve the right to reclaim the animal.
- We reserve the right to approve or refuse an adoption to anyone.
What are your adoption policies?
Please take a moment to read a copy of our Adoption Policies.
How much does it cost?
- Dogs and puppies $100
- Cats and kittens $80
- Ferrets, snakes and Iquana's $50
- Rabbits & Guinea Pigs $15
- Birds $25 with cage
- Hamsters, Gerbils & Rats $5
- Understand your adoption fee includes:
- Your new pets initial vaccines and deworming, feline leukemia testing (cats only), heartworm testing (dogs over 6 months), microchip, grooming, 30 day free pet insurance, deworming, and the 1st month heartworm preventative (dogs). Some of the animals may already be Spayed or Neutered and have received a rabies vaccination.
- We offer several types of discounts:
- Seniors 55 years old or older receive 50% off their adoption fee.
- Active Military and Veterans receive 25% off their adoption fee.
- Anyone who adopts is offered a 2 for 1 discount. Adopt 1, get another for free.
I'm ready! How do I get started?
The first step in the process is to fill out an adoption application. Your application will be good until the end of the current year. Once the application is approved, you can adopt any of the animals we have available.
When you are finished, please sign, date and mail, fax, or e-mail back to the Humane Society at:
Humane Society of Elkhart County
54687 County Road 19
Bristol, IN 46507
Phone (574) 848-4225
Fax (574) 848-5453